These pretty cakes look absolutely stunning with a swirl of whipped cream and strawberries on top.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 1 cup (8 ounce) flour / maida
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon (1 ounce) sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounce) butter
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounce) milk
- 4 tablespoon (2 ounce) caster sugar
- 700 grams strawberries
- 300ml thick cream, to decorate
- 1. Sift flour and baking powder together.
- 2. Add 2 tablespoon sugar. Rub in butter till it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- 3. Pour in milk and mix to form a soft dough. Let sit in fridge for a 10 – 15 minutes so it is easier to handle.
- 4. Pre-heat oven to 220 C.
- 5. Roll out dough on a floured surface ¼ inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut rounds and set aside.
- 6. Bake on a cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes on 220 degrees C or until golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- 7. In the meanwhile prepare filling by slicing the strawberries. In a bowl mix sliced strawberries with 4 tablespoon sugar. In another bowl, whip the cream for decoration.
- 8. Split the shortcakes in half. Spread cream and strawberries on one split shortcake and top with the other half, decorate with a swirl of cream on top and put a strawberry on it.