Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
These cinnamon rolls have a delicious chocolate filling with a cream cheese glaze. Tempting!
- PREP TIME: 45 minutes + 1 hour for dough to rise
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 10 persons
- Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter/margarine
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 -4 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 50 grams cooking chocolate
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/3 cup cream cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1. Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 2. Warm the milk until it just starts to boil. Remove from heat. Mix in the butter; stir until melted.
- 3. Add water and wait for the mixture to reach room temperature.
- 4. In a large bowl, mix the milk mixture, yeast, white sugar, salt and eggs till sugar dissolves.
- 5. Reserve about a cup of flour for kneading.
- 6. Out of the remaining 3 cups, add a cup of flour to the milk mixture very slowly and stir well to combine.
- 7. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When the dough has been mixed together take it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead.
- 8. Keep sprinkling the remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic. Alternatively you can use a dough mixer or a stand mixer if available.
- 9. Cover with a greased plastic film and leave for half an hour in a warm place to rise.
- 10. Meanwhile mix brown sugar, cocoa powder,cinnamon together. Add butter and melted cooking chocolate. Mix well.
- 11. Now take your risen dough, generously sprinkle flour on your work surface and use a rolling pin to gently roll it into a rectangle of around 12X9 inches.
- 12. Spread a layer of the cinnamon mixture leaving the about an inch at the top and bottom to seal.
- 13. Next, roll the sheet gently and keep tucking the sides to get a uniform cylinder. Seal with a little milk. Using a sharp knife cut your rolls into 12-14 pieces of around 2 inches thick, which will depend on your cylinder size.
- 14. Place them widely spaced in a greased pan (preferably a rectangular pan) and cover with plastic film and leave it to rise till the size doubles.
- 15. Preheat oven to around 180 degrees and bring down to 160C. Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes. After 15 minutes have passed keep a check by poking a toothpick in the center.
- 16. While its baking, make frosting; beat icing sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add milk gradually until frosting reaches a good creamy consistency.
- 17. Spread over warm cinnamon rolls.