Beef Kofta Curry
Kofta's are the Pakistani version of meatballs enjoyed with rice & roti and a pickled onion salad on the side.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds(khashkhas)
- 2/3 cup roasted chickpeas (bhunay huay chanay)
- 3/4 tea spoon red chili powder
- 3/4 tea spoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 kg beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil, as desired
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 a head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder(dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (sabit safaid zeera)
- 1. Grind poppy seeds (khashkhas) and roasted chickpeas (bhunay chanay) in chopper. Set aside.
- 2. Add beef mince, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder & chickpea mixture in chopper. Pulse 2-3 times so that the spices & beef mince are mixed together properly. Add an egg and about 2-3 tablespoon water (in small increments) to help in binding.
- 3. Make kofta's and set aside. Use water or oil to help in making kofta's and to prevent sticking.
- 4. Grind garlic cloves with water to make paste. Set aside.
- 5. Heat oil. Fry sliced onions in oil till golden brown.
- 6. Add garlic paste and spices (turmeric, coriander powder and cumin seeds). Saute for about a minute to remove the raw flavor.
- 7. Add kofta's and about 1 cup water and bring to boil.
- 8. Turn heat to low and cook for about 30 - 45 minutes till the kofta's are cooked through and oil separates.
- 9. Add more water if more gravy is required. Stir carefully every few minutes to ensure that the kofta's don't break.
- 10. Serve hot with roti or rice.