Aloo Chanay Ki Bujiya
This potato & chickpeas vegetarian sabzi can be served for breakfast or for a light vegetarian dinner.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 2 large Potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup chickpeas, boiled
- 5 tablespoon oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (Haldi)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (zeera), ground
- ½ tablespoon dry red chili flakes
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies (slit from the middle into half)
- 1 teaspoon sabit zeera (for tempering / tarka)
- 1. Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onions and sauté till light brown.
- 2. Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes mashing with a spoon.
- 3. Add nigella seeds (kalonji), turmeric, ground cumin seeds, red chili flakes and salt. Saute for 2-3 minutes and mix well.
- 4. Add boiled chickpeas, fresh coriander leaves and green chilies.
- 5. Add 2-3 cups of water along with chopped potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- 6. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn heat to low and cook on low heat / simmer till potatoes are soft & tender.
- 7. Take a wooden spoon and mash the potatoes & chickpeas 2-3 times for a chunky texture. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the gravy is thickened.
- 8. Heat oil in a small pan and add whole cumin seeds (sabit zeera). Once the cumin seeds start crackling, add the tempering mixture along with oil to the potato & chickpea curry.
- 9. Serve hot with puri for breakfast or for a light vegetarian dinner.
- 10. For Tadka (Baghaar): Heat of oil, add of zeera stir fry it, when zeera start crackling sound pour this in the aloo chanay mixture. Aloo Chanay ki Bujiya is ready to serve.
Notes:Photo Credits: Flickr