Mash Dahi Baray or Dahi Bhallay
Mash ki Daal kay Dahi Baray are a healthy & refreshing snack that can be served with dinner or as part of the iftaar platter in Ramazan.
- PREP TIME: 12 Hours
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- Baray or Bhallay:
- Maash daal 2 cups
- Ginger paste 2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder1 teaspoon
- Green chilli 1
- Yogurt 2 table spoons
- Baking soda a pinch
- Water 1/4 cup
- Yoghurt & Garnish:
- Yogurt 2 cups
- Sugar 1 table spoon
- Salt 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Cumin powder 1/2 tea spoon
- 1. Soak Maash daal overnight or for about 6-7 hours. Drain all the water out of daal and put the first set of ingredients in the blender and blend until the mixture is smooth, the consistency should be medium thick. Don't add more water until needed otherwise the mixture will turn runny enough and make it difficult for you to make bhallas.
- 2. Now put the blended mixture into a bowl and whisk with the help of fork or hand whisk for good 5 minutes, this will make bhallas light and fluffy.Cover mixture with a piece of cloth for 15 minutes and then mix it again for one more minute and now time to heat oil in the frying pan.
- 3. When the oil is hot enough to fry then lower down the flame to medium. Now carefully lower tablespoon of mixture in oil and fry until golden. Place on kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
- 4. Once bhallas are done, take a bowl of warm water, add salt in it and mix. Dunk bhallas in water for about 2 minutes.Gently squeeze water out of bhalla by placing them between palms of your hands (do this process on each bhalla individually).
- 5. Now it's time to use second set of ingredients list, Put salt, sugar, red chilli powder and cumin powder and yogurt in a bowl, whisk well.I use Greek yogurt which is quite thick in texture so you can always put water or milk to adjust the consistency as per your requirement.
- 6. Take a serving bowl, cover the bottom with bhallas , dont over crowd or put bhallas on top of each other. Pour yogurt over bhallas and cover them well. Drizzle Tamarind Sauce. Sprinkle some chaat masala as per your linking. Cover dish with a cling sheet or lid and put in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes so that yogurt is absorbed in bhallas .