Rajma or Red Lobia
This recipe originates from Kashmir where it is known as Laal Lobia. It is a simple & delicious vegetarian curry.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 5 persons
- Lobia or Red beans: 1 and a 1/2 cup
- Oil: 1/2 cup
- Onion: 1 medium sized
- Ginger:1 tsp
- Garlic: 1 tsp
- Black Cardamom 1
- Cinnamon stick:1/2 an inch long
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- Salt: to taste
- Haldi: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1 tsp or to taste
- Garam Masala: 1/2 tea spoon or to taste
- Green Coriander: 2 Table spoons
- Green chillies: 2
- 1. Soak Lobia for two to three hours and boil it in whatever cooking utensil you use to boil lentils.Since i don't use pressure cooker so I really don't have an idea how much time it will take to cook in it. I use slow cooker to boil Chick peas and Lobia etc. which I usually put at night on high setting and switch it off after 4-5 hrs so it slowly and steadily cooks.
- 2. Now moving onto making daal masala
- 3. Put oil and thinly sliced onion in a cooking utensil, golden brown onion slices and then
- 4. Put ginger and garlic, fry it for one or two minutes.
- 5. Put all dried spices (Black Cardamom, Cinnamon stick, Haldi, salt, Mirch, cumin seeds) except for garam masala with a splash of water so that they don't burn.
- 6. Put boil lobia in with two cups of water.
- 7. When the water boils, cover it with a lid.
- 8. After ten minutes, mash daal a bit like we do with masoor daal or haleem(half mashed and half unmashed).
- 9. Check if you like the consistency but if you like your daal a little runny then put some water in and cook some more.
- 10. When daal's consistency looks according to your liking, put garam masala ,coriander and green chillies on top, cover it for 5 minutes again.
- 11. Daal is ready to serve with Naan/chapaati/white boiled rice , achaar and salad.
Notes:Put some butter/desi ghee on top when you serve daal to make it taste even richer.