Coffee Crunch Cake
This coffee crunch cake will impress both friends & family.
- PREP TIME: 120 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- Sponge Cake
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 oz flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon coffee
- 4 oz sugar
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Fresh cream icing:
- 12 oz fresh dairy cream
- 2 oz icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoon coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Extra fresh cream, to decorate
- Fruit syrup or milk, to moisten cake
- 1. Sponge Cake
- 2. Beat eggs and sugar till light and fluffy.
- 3. Add vanilla essence and coffee.
- 4. Gently fold in flour and baking powder.
- 5. Bake at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes in a greased and lined 9” pan.
- 6. Cool on wire rack when done.
- 7. Crunch:
- 8. Heat sugar in a saucepan till light brown and caramelized.
- 9. Stir in walnuts.
- 10. Immediately pour on a greased baking sheet or pot lid and leave aside to set.
- 11. When set, crush with a rolling pin into tiny pieces and refrigerate.
- 12. Fresh cream icing:
- 13. To make icing, beat chilled fresh cream till thick.
- 14. Add in icing sugar, coffee and essence.
- 15. Chill till ready to use.
- 16. When cake is cold, split in half and apply fruit syrup or milk to moisten sponge.
- 17. Mix few crunch pieces with half the chilled cream.
- 18. Apply on bottom layer, top with 2nd layer of sponge, apply cream and crunch on top and sides of cake, smooth well with palette knife or butter knife. Chill.
- 19. Decorate with swirls of fresh cream. Serve chilled.