Make this oh so popular traditional milk based Pakistani mithai at home. Lots of variations to play around with as well.
- PREP TIME: 40 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 4 cups powdered milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- Seeds of 4-5 green cardamom (Elaichi)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1. In the powdered milk add enough evaporated milk to knead it into a hard dough.
- 2. Roll it up into a hard ball and keep it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- 3. Then take it out and grate it with a coarse grater.
- 4. In a pot heat the ghee and add the ilaichi seeds, grated milk, sugar and water and cook on low heat and keep stirring till the water has dried and it starts to come together and leaves the sides of the pot.
- 5. Add a few drops of Kewra essence (optional) and set in a flat dish.
- 6. When cool cut into pieces.
Notes:Coconut Barfi – Do not add water. Add grated coconut according to taste and yellow food color. Pista Barfi - Add chopped pistachios according to taste and green food color. Badam / Almond Barfi - Add powdered almonds Kaju / Cashewnut Barfi - Add powdered cashews Chocolate Barfi - Add chocolate powder Photo Credits: ruchiskitchen