These simple open faced sandwiches are all about using the freshest ingredients possible. Get a freshly baked loaf of crusty French bread from the bak...
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 6 chopped ripe tomatoes
- 5 leaves chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ tsp pinch oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red chillies
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into diagonal slices
- 1. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, oregano, red chillies, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- 2. Use more olive oil, if necessary, to coat the entire mixture.
- 3. Allow the mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes for flavors to blend.
- 4. On a baking tray, arrange the slices of bread in a single layer and brown both sides slightly in the oven. Remove the slices from the oven.
- 5. Spread the tomato mixture on the still warm toasted bread slices and serve.