Date & Walnut Loaf
This rustic tea-time loaf is flavored with sweet dates and studded with walnuts.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 8 oz dates, stoned and chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 oz butter
- 3 oz caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 8 oz flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 oz walnuts, chopped
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C
- 2. Put dates in a bowl and add in the boiling water and leave for 15 minutes. Drain the dates and reserve the soaking liquid
- 3. Beat butter, sugar, egg, flour, baking powder.
- 4. Add the walnuts, dates and the soaking liquid, stir well.
- 5. Pour in a greased and lined loaf tin and bake at 180 degrees for 30 minutes or till done.
- 6. Cool completely, serve thickly sliced toasted and buttered.
Notes:Photo credits: inspirededibles.ca