Pasta w/ Tomato Sauce
This simple pasta sauce has just a few ingredients but packs a lot of punch. Add crushed red chili flakes along with fresh herbs for added flavor.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 800g cans Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley (or dried parsley)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 400g dried penne pasta
- 1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 2. Add the onion and cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until it softens slightly.
- 3. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- 4. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- 5. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil.
- 6. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- 7. Stir in the parsley and sugar.
- 8. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- 9. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente.
- 10. Drain and return to the pan.
- 11. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss to combine.
- 12. Serve immediately.
Notes:Fresh tomatoes can be used instead of canned. Just peel, chop and saute for about 10 minutes then use them in the recipe as directed.